Barbagianni M.S. DVM, PhD, MS, Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Thessaly, Karditsa, Greece
Karatrantos A.T. DVM, trainee in Department of Surgery, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Thessaly, Karditsa, Greece
Gouletsou P.G. DVM, PhD, Associate Professor, Department of Reproduction, Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Thessaly, Karditsa, Greece
A study of blood flow in different regions of the prostatic artery in a dog with a prostatic abscess and epididymitis.
A 11-year-old male Gordon Setter dog was presented with scrotal enlargement and loss of body weight. Physical, blood, and semen examination, as well as B-mode and Doppler examination of the prostate gland and scrotum contents, were performed. Doppler measurements were taken at the prostatic artery, the subcapsular artery in two different regions, and the parenchymal artery of the prostate gland.
The results of the blood examination were normal. The semen and prostatic fluid examination revealed an abundant number of WBC and a minimal number of spermatozoa, whilst the culture showed E.coli and Proteus mirabilis. Epididymitis of left epididymis and a prostatic abscess of 5cm diameter were imaged by B-mode scanning. Prostatic blood flow profile in the subcapsular artery near the abscess was diphasic with increased resistive index and blood volume. However, the blood flow profile of the other regions of prostatic artery was normal.
This report reveals that the blood flow in the proximity of a prostatic abscess shows an abnormal pattern, and may be used as a diagnostic sign.
- Luño V, Servián M, Martínez F, Borobia M, González N, Gil L (2020) Correlation of Prostatic Artery Blood Flow Assessed by Doppler Ultrasonography with Semen Characteristics in Beagle Dogs. Animals 10, 2077.
- Newell SM, Neuwirth L, Ginn PE, Roberts GD, Prime LS, Harrison JM (1998) Doppler ultrasound of the prostate in normal dogs and in dogs with chronic lymphocytic– lymphoplasmocytic prostatitis. Vet. Radiol. Ultrasound 39, 332–336.
- De Freitas LA, Pinto JN, Silva HVR, Da Silva LDM (2015) Two-dimensional and Doppler sonographic prostatic appearance of sexually intact French Bulldogs. Theriogenology, 83, 1140–1146.
- Carrillo JD, Soler M, Lucas X, Agut A (2012) Colour and pulsed Doppler ultrasonographic study of the canine testis. Reprod Domest Anim 47, 655-659.
- Günzel-Apel AR, Möhrke C, Poulsen Nautrup C (2001) Colour-coded and pulsed Doppler sonography of the canine testis, epididymis and prostate gland: physiological and pathological findings. Reprod Domest Anim 36, 236-240.